Concern about nipple that seems detached

08/23/2010

Question:

I have noticed that one nipple seems to be fully detached from my breast- I can pull it fully away from the breast and feel no attachment in anyway- I don’t know if it has been this way or some damage that recently happened. Is this normal? What is attached to the nipple? What should I be feeling? I am very concern because I would like to breastfeed and want to know can this be fixed? What test should I ask from my doctor to see if there is a problem? Can the breast tissue and milk ducts be reattached if they are not? My other nipple I feel some attachment but little. any suggestions would be greatful-thanks so much for your help.

Answer:

The only answer I can give is to see your doctor. If I saw you, I would have to do an exam first and see if I agree with your assessment. It would be highly unlikely (but you can never say never) that your are correct about a disconnected nipple...

Jean T Stevenson, MD, FACS Jean T Stevenson, MD, FACS
Associate Professor of Surgery