Superior Oblique Palsy

07/20/2010

Question:

I have been diagnosed with Superior Oblique Palsy. I never had a problem as a child and my main symptoms are blurry vision and sometimes double vision while watching t.v.

Nine months ago I had surgery to the left side of my face and the infraorbital nerve was involved; the surgery notes said that there was particular attention to preserve the infrorbital nerve. Could that have been damaged during the surgery and could that have brought on the Superior Oblique Palsy?

Thank you

Answer:

Superior oblique palsy is typically an acquired condition and many times is the result of head trauma (such as hitting your head during a car accident). Your symptom of double vision is commonly associated with a superior oblique palsy.

Due to the location of the infraorbital nerve in relation to cranial nerve four (CN IV; which controls the superior oblique muscle) it seems unlikley that the damage to the infraorbital nerve was instrumental to the palsy.

Did you have any head trauma prior to the diagnosis?

You should ask your current eyecare professional to give some possible explanations as to why this superior oblique palsy may have developed.

Aaron  Zimmerman, OD, MS Aaron Zimmerman, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry