Pain in Arm After IV

07/21/2010

Question:

I had some kidney stones blasted at an outpatient facility. They put an iv in my left side hand top between the pinkie and ring finger, but on the top of the hand. No pain after surgery on Wed, but Saturday the iv site was sore. Sunday I started having pain and swelling on the upper arm inside rear right above my elbow. It was swollen and sore for till I woke up Friday morning (now 9 days after surgery) and my left wrist is swollen and sore and painful to the touch. All of the pain is along the same line on my left arm. If I lay my arm on the table with my thumb straight up, the pain has run all up and down that same path in my arm. Should I be worried about this?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. A question similar to yours has been previously addressed. The link below will connect you to that information. NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Intravenous Catheter Complications

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org