Menopause

FSH is 204.7

07/16/2010

Question:

I just got my test result back yesterday saying my FSh level is 204.7. I`ve been having extreme hot flashes & nausua. March of `09,it was 18.9. Breast cancer does run in my family. I`m really at a loss at what to do. I haven`t been going to this dr. very long. But, she didn`t make a big deal of it. Should I be concerned? I can`t seem to find any information on the internet about high levels. By the way, I`m 52.

Answer:

This is a high FSH, but several things should be considered before becoming concerned: first, was this the only blood level that was drawn? (If other hormones were drawn, we would look at all of them together to see if something showed up.) And second, are we sure the level is correct?  So, it may be that you should have it repeated. 

Then discuss with your doctor. If you are unsatisfied with your doctor, you may want to consider another opinion. 

Good luck.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Linda A Bernhard, PhD, RN Linda A Bernhard, PhD, RN
Professor Emeritus