Frequent Urination and Pain

07/30/2010

Question:

About 2 months ago, I was starting to get symptoms of a UTI. I noticed I was having frequent urges to urinate. So I went to the doctor and they said I had a UTI and gave me a weeks worth of antibiotics. I normally get a UTI once or twice a year, and this one was unusual. Normally, when they come on, they hit me hard and I am in excruciating pain within hours and start bleeding. After I am treated with antibiotics, I am good to go. I have never had to go back twice for extra medicine for a UTI. This time when I noticed something was going on, I didn`t have pain, just a constant urge to urinate. After my first weeek of meds were over, I still had the same symptoms. I went back to the doctor and they put me on a different antibiotic for another week. I was still urinating more than normal after that week`s worth of meds were done. I was then sent to a gynecologist. He said there was a small trace of a UTI but it was basically over with, but said it looked like I had BV, so I was put on 2 more antibiotics for another week. Here I am 2 months and 6 doctors later, still urinating frequently (about once every hour I have to go pee). I am not experiencing pain while I`m urinating. I have not had sex in the past 2 months since I`ve had this problem, but I have thought about it, during which I noticed I get dull pain in my vagina. What is causing that? I have been tested for STD`s and diabetes and the tests came back negative. There is no longer any sign of infection in my urine. I just seen a urologist a few days ago and he said the bladder ultrasound looked normal. What is wrong with me? I am scared because no one can seem to figure out what is wrong and I lose sleep over it. This is ruining my life and my relationship!

Answer:

Urinary urgency (the feeling of having to urinate right away) and frequency (the feeling of having to go often even when the bladder is not full) are frequent symptoms of urinary tract infection, but can also occur with any inflammation or irritation of the bladder.  Some medications or even foods can irritate the bladder, such as those that are acidic or contain alcohol.  Caffeine can also stimulate spasms of the bladder muscle that cause these sensations.

Interstitial cystitis (IC) is another condition that can cause these symptoms.  It involves an inflammation of the bladder wall for reasons that are not clear.  Although it may be difficult to diagnose, a cystoscopy (test in which a small scope is used to look at the inside of the bladder) may be useful to establish a diagnosis.

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology