Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Broken Milk Tooth

08/02/2010

Question:

My 18-month daughter lost her upper front tooth when we were in the park last month. I took her to my dentist and he told me that the tooth came out completely. yesterday I examined her and I saw a small white luster ( a very small piece of her tooth). I do not think that it came out completley then. the question is what should I do for her? is this something that I should worry about?

Answer:

Thank you for the question. I would recommend taking your daughter to a pediatric dentist / or a general dentist who is experienced in treating young children.

What you see MAY be part of the root of the tooth, which in the absence of infection - might be left alone, OR it could in fact be a small part of fractured bone that is 'working it's way' out. Either way, these are fairly normal occurrences, and no reason for alarm. However, the cause can only be definitively determined after a full clinical and radiographic examination. Hope this helps.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Sarath  Thikkurissy, DDS, MS Sarath Thikkurissy, DDS, MS
Associate Professor of Pediatric Dentistry