Sprained Ankle Will Not Heal!

10/05/2010

Question:

I sprained my ankle 10+ weeks ago. I wore an aircast for the first 2 weeks, and iced it and tried to rest as much as I could. Now I don`t wear anything on it and am back to an almost normal routine, but I still have pain and swelling every day and I can`t seem to do any form of exercise without even more pain and swelling. Is this normal? How long will it take to heal? Is it ok to "work through the pain" and just keep on exercising despite the pain and swelling?

Answer:

Persisting pain more than 10 weeks following an ankle sprain is not typical, which would therefore suggest that your sprain was not "typical". The pain and swelling are there for a reason and should not be ignored. Their basis is best determined by your physician, who can examine you and determine if imaging studies will change the management of your condition.

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation