Vulvar Dermatitis

In May I went to my Gyn for what I thought was a yeaast infection. It was negative so he gave me clobetasol. Tried it for a week and the itching then turned to burning. When to a derm who said continue to use the hydrocortisone but now it was desonide. No help. Lichen sclersus biopsy negative. 3 months later I have terrible itching and burning on the introitus and the inner labia. The inner labia have white plaques on them. New gyno says "dermatits" and has started me on a 40 mgs Prednosone taper. Am ready to go on sick leave due to the itching and burning. Any ideas?

If the new white plaques you are describing are truly new (not the same as what you had in May), then maybe a sample needs to be taken for histology, just to make sure it is not a lichen sclerosus or another entity that has now declared itself. Warm (not too hot) soaks/sitz baths sometimes relieves burning of that area. Bland moisturizers (even just a vaseline petroleum jelly) may sometimes help symptomatically reduce the burning. But the key is to make sure of the diagnosis.

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center