Why am I always hot?

08/23/2010

Question:

Ever since I was a little girl I have been hot. My husband calls me his personal heater, I actually radiate heat and people warm themselves on me. When I sleep I have to have the window open with a fan on or I will sweat a lot. At night I generally keep the room around 50 degrees. During the day it`s not too bad as long as it`s cool out and I`m not doing a lot of things to exert myself. If the temp outside is above 65 though then I AM HOT. I will have the red face and sweat, not like others though, it`s not embarrassing sweat, but my hair will look like I haven`t bathed in weeks which is embarrassing. Apparently I only sweat in my head and a little on my back. But it`s really unpleasant to be in a room with people and everyone is comfortable and I am sweating and red. It`s noticeable and people ask if I need a window open. I`ve had my thyroid tested and it`s great, I don`t have any medical conditions in my family and I am on no medication. I`m a little overweight now and have been for the past year but I was skinny my whole life before that and have been dealing with this for as long as I can remember. I am 29, I don`t drink and I don`t smoke. I really hope one of you knows whats wrong with me, it`s really frustrating. I`ve been to 2 doctors now and they told me that some people are just hot. If you were to touch me you would be like "oh my gosh, you are hot!!!" just by touching my hand. Thanks for any help you can give.

Answer:

I wish I could give you more information, but as the two other doctors noted, some individuals are just warmer than others. Our body's temperature is closely regulated by a small gland in the brain, called the hypothalamus. This gland regulates the 'set point' of the body's temperature, and regulates one's metabolism. The higher the metabolism, the higher the body's temperature. Although 'normal temperature' for most individuals is 98.2 to 98.6 degrees, there definitely is variation. It sounds like everything else is normal for you, and the fact that you have had a normal thyroid test is good. So, I'm sorry, but it sounds like your body's thermostat is turned up a bit higher than others. Unfortunately, we do not yet have the technology to turn the thermostat down. The good news is that as we get older, our temperature gets lower, so patience....

W. Fred Miser, MD W. Fred Miser, MD
Professor of Family Medicine
Director of Ohio State Medicine Residency Program