Methotrexate/Arava

08/16/2010

Question:

My mother acquired a severe pneumonia from using methotrexate/avara drugs for her rheumatoid arhthritis and is in intensive care on life support for the last 3 weeks,and the doctors are giving her steroids but hasnt improved.Has the damage to her lungs gone to far or is this going to take time as my family are very worried.Please give me some good news THankyou

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, we try to answer general questions about lung diseases but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your mother's condtion, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with your mother's history, physical exam, and test results. It may be helpful to ask your mother's physicians to sit down with you and the rest of your family to answer your questions in a way that you are able to understand. If your mother's physicians are unable to help you understand these issues, you could get a second opinion.

Best wishes. 

Amy L Pope-Harman, MD Amy L Pope-Harman, MD
Clinical Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep