UTI Condition

09/30/2010

Question:

I wonder how long after I take Cefixime to fix gonorrhea I can get back to my sexual activity? Is it still contagious after a single dose and if so, for how many days?

Answer:

The common dosage for Cefixime for uncomplicated GC infections is 400 mgm orally in a single dose. You should note that according to the Center for Disease Control, this medication does not provide as high or sustained action to kill the GC bacteria as Ceftriaxone (which is given in an injection). Cefixime is effective in 97.4% of uncomplicated GC infections. However, there are many strains of GC that are resistant to the usual medications. Therefore, if you had the one dose of 400 mgm of Cefixime, you should have a repeat culture to test for cure. It is also important that you be treated for Chlamydia unless your test specifically said you do not have it. Chlamydia requires a different medication in addition to the cefixime. You can resume sexual activity within 48 hours of a treatment with a one dose regime, but it is better if you wait to assure that your infection has been cured. It is also VERY important that you use a condom EVERY TIME you have sex, even if you know your partner. Reinfection and infecting others is common with this disease and condoms demonstrate respect for yourself and for your sexual partner. Hope this helps.

Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD Elizabeth R Barker, APRN, BC, FNP, FAANP, CHE, PhD