Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Urinary Disorders

Ureter Transplant



Hello just a little background. I have only one kidney. My ureter tube has scarring causing a narrowing and causing my kidney to back up.

Is there a specialist that can transplant a ureter?

Thank you for your time and help.


There is no "transplant" of ureter from one person to another, and development of artificial or molecular engineering to recreate a ureter is still in progress. To overcome a damaged ureter, there are several alternatives which include the following:

1) removing the scarred portion of the ureter and reconnecting

2) reshaping the bladder to connect to the upper portion of the ureter (called a Boari flap and ureteral reimplant)

3) using the ureter from the other side when available (called a transuretero-ureterostomy)

4) moving the kidney down to the bladder and connecting directly (a renal autotransplant)

The choice of repair is dictated by the level and extent of the ureteral damage. Many urologists are well qualified for any of these solutions.

For more information:

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Response by:

James F Donovan, Jr, MD James F Donovan, Jr, MD
Professor of Surgery
Director of UC Urology
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati