Pharmacy and Medications

Vitamin D Plus Other Supplements

09/07/2010

Question:

I have been perscribed Vitamin D due to a deficiency. Is it ok to take this once per week medication along with daily OTC Estroven and low dose aspirin?

Answer:

Vitamin D is essential for maintaining bone health and regulating calcium levels in the body. Vitamin D is made in the skin from cholesterol in the body or dietary cholesterol after skin is exposed to UV radiation (sunlight). The amount of vitamin D your body needs is dependent on your age and other individual factors.

The medications listed should not be a problem when taken together. Over-the-counter Estroven® contains a variety of ingredients and these ingredients differ based on the specific product. All of the Estroven® products contain vitamin D. This is something you should mention to your doctor so he/she is aware.

It is always a good idea to check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking any new medications, so I am glad you asked! Even over-the-counter medications can have drug interactions and side effects.

Submitted by:
Abby Weimerskirch
Pharm D Candidate 2011
The University of Toledo

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Carmen M Hadley, RPh, CSPI
Former Clinical Instructor
College of Pharmacy