COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

CT Scan Results

09/02/2010

Question:

I recieved my results in the mail and my doctor is gone right now. Could some one tell me what this means? Thanks!

1. Indeterminate subpleural nodule left lower lobe measuring around 18 x 20 mm. Differential would include an inflammatory nodule vs primary carinoma of the lung.The nodule is amenable to percutaneous biopsy if relevant.

Answer:

The radiologist's interpretation is that the lung nodule found on the CAT scan could be from a benign inflammatory process (e.g. prior infection) or from a malignant process (early lung cancer). A needle biopsy of the nodule, (according to the radiologist), could be done through the skin into the chest. You need to talk to your doctor about the best next step in evaluating this finding. 

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep