Enlarged Bump on End of Tongue

09/09/2010

Question:

Hi, I`ve had this "companion" on the end of my tongue now for a few years. It`s not white or painful, but it seems more like a nerve ending in my tongue that`s swollen. It`s only the one, possibly caused by drinking excessive amounts of hot liquids?... After drinking hot coffee one day, i burned the tip of my tongue and got a tongue burn (common occurrence with me). The redness and pain went away after next day or two, but the swollen bump just remained. Did i somehow permanently damage a tongue nerve? ..and if so, is there a way of getting it removed?

Answer:

This could be a benign (not cancer) condition caused by injuring your tongue. Conditions such as fibroma or traumatic neuroma would be most likely. This can be easily treated by simple excision (removal) by an oral surgeon. The tissue that is removed should be sent to an oral pathologist in order to confirm the diagnosis. 

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology