COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Lab Reports (Emphysematous Changes. Fibrosis)

09/20/2010

Question:

I just picked up a copy of a lab reports. I have a consult in 2 weeks but I would like some insight before then so I may have an idea on what to ask my doctor.

Here is the lab report findings of the CT angio chest with contrst.

FINDINGS: There are diffuse emphysematous changes in the lungs and mild chronic fibrosis in the lung bases, greater on the right side. Np acute airspace disease or pleural effusion. Heart size is normal. There is normal enhancement of the heart and pulmonary arteries. Negative for PE. Thoracic aorta is normal. There is a stable 1.5 CM lymph node in the right Hilum.

Also... EKG findings says: Incomplete Right Bundle Block.

I am a 45 year old female who quit smoking over a year ago. I am concerned for my mom died a VERY rapid death at age 61 due to lung cancer. I found out recently from my father that she had had a spot that they had checked for over 4 years but said there was nothing to worry about as long as it didn`t change. Well... from one 6 month checkup to another, it changed and she died.

Could you please tell me what all this means?

Thank you.

Answer:

The CAT scan shows emphysema from cigarette smoking as well as mild scarring (fibrosis). There is no evidence of a blood clot in the lung. There is a mildly enlarged lymph node (1.5 cm, with normal up to 1 cm) on the right side near the center of the chest. This is of uncertain significance. However it is reported as stable, suggesting it has not changed in size from a previous scan which is generally a reassuring finding. You should discuss the CAT scan results with your doctor.

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Mahasti   Rittinger, RRT Mahasti Rittinger, RRT
Clinical Program Manager of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep

Phillip T Diaz, MD Phillip T Diaz, MD
Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine