Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects

Symptoms: Are They from Frederich`s Ataxia

10/21/2010

Question:

I`m 33 years old unmarried male working as lecter. I have been suffered from upper back ache from several months, especiallly while I was taking rest and sleeping pain in dorsal spine is very chronic. The MRI scanning report reveals that degenarative disc disorder and Haemangiyoma at D7. My parents are normal and I don`t have any other diseases like diabetes or high blood pressure.

Doctors suggest certain pain killers and without medication pain is coming. One more thing is I have not responded quickly and decision making is very, very slow. I coud not remember things at requred time, but not completely forget. Are these sypmptoms from Frederich`s Ataxia?

Answer:

I am unable to tell you if you have Friedreich ataxia (FA). A degenerative disc disease can have many causes, but it usually is not the problem that people with FA have.

People with Friedreich ataxia usually have a slowly progressive ataxia – that is, over time, they have problems with their balance and walking. This usually starts in a person’s mid teens and usually before the age of 25 years. People with FA usually have trouble swallowing or problems with speech, a loss of sensation in the lower legs and muscle weakness. Most people will develop scoliosis (curvature of the spine).

However, you should ask your doctors if they think your spine problems could be related to FA.

Go to the Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects health topic, where you can:

Anne   Matthews, RN, PhD Anne Matthews, RN, PhD
Associate Professor of Genetics