Athletic Training

Rolled Ankle Weeks Ago

09/23/2010

Question:

For my summer job took 8 day camping trips and worked outdoors. During one of our trips I rolled my ankle. It hurt really bad at first, then after a few minutes the pain lessened and I was able to go back to my tent. Everyone was already in bed except the girl in my tent. She said she`d rolled her ankle multiple times from soccer and it wasn`t a big deal, it should be fine by morning. It was a little swollen, but it didn`t hurt too bad so I listened. I woke up the next morning and I couldn`t move my ankle at all, and it looked like there was a tennis ball where my ankle used to be. There was a purple stripe along the bottom of my foot on the outside. I didn`t have an option to skip a day of work, so I had to walk on it and it was rough terrain so it was turning from side to side a lot. I`ve looked up what to do about an ankle injury, and I`ve found R.I.C.E. multiple times. Well, I had to keep working, we had no ice, I couldn`t wear my work boots if I wrapped my ankle, and I couldn`t elevate my ankle while working. So, none of that was done. I got an ankle brace when I got home (3 days after I rolled it). I didn`t notice any difference from that. I rolled it about 6 weeks ago and its still swollen, and I`m noticing it still hurts (I thought it was feeling better, but I just started a class for school and we have to do Yoga once a week and I`m noticing in there that it still hurts to turn it very far.) I`ve read that it can take up to 6 weeks to heal, but it`s been 6 weeks and its still about twice the size of normal. So, my question is: Is there anything I can do about it now?

Answer:

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend a follow up with your local health care professional who could do a thorough evaluation of your problem and determine an appropriate treatment plan since you are continuing to experience pain and swelling 6 weeks after the original injury.  Sprain injuries can take time to heal, but it would be wise to have your ankle evaluated to determine the severity of your injury and the appropriate treatment since you wish to remain active.  Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences