Pulmonary Fibrosis

Infection – Face

10/05/2010

Question:

I have a family member with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. She was diagnosed 3+ years ago and is currently on supplemental oxygen 24/7. On two occasions she has experienced pain, redness and swelling behind her right check. She has seen her dentist, who tells her that there is nothing wrong with her teeth and an ENT doctor that told her that he believes that it is her teeth as he can find nothing wrong. Her lung doctor gave her an antibiotic but the side effects were so bad that she stopped taking it. I know that prior to this she had complained of canker-like sores in her mouth. Is there a link? Any ideas??? Thanks so much.

Answer:

There are many reasons that a person can have pain and redness of the cheek. Most of these causes are not related to pulmonary fibrosis. Some patients with IPF can have auto-immune diseases that can affect the mouth and lead to pain, redness or mouth sores. It would be important to continue to follow up with your primary doctor, the dentist and ENT for evaluation of these disorders and to make sure that her other symptoms have resolved.

Go to the Pulmonary Fibrosis health topic, where you can:

Nitin Y Bhatt, MD Nitin Y Bhatt, MD
Clinical Assisstant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep