Dental and Oral Health Center

Tooth Implants

09/28/2010

Question:

As an adult, I`ve had 5 teeth pulled. I`m considering individual tooth implants, but I`m worried about what`s involved. Do you have any information, especially about pain management?

Answer:

Contrary to the popular belief, dental implant surgery is relatively less painful than tooth extraction. Conscious Sedation is one technique that might help you during the surgery and all the implants can be placed at the same time. Patients usually require less pain medications compared to tooth extractions. The recovery is usually quick and patients get back to their routine duties the next day of surgery.

If you've had 5 teeth extracted in the same region, you might get away with just 3 implants and the restoring dentist will best help you make that decision. However if you had the teeth extracted in different regions in the mouth, then you will require five individual implants. Once the decision on the number of implants is made, the dentist fabricates a surgical guide that allows the surgeon to precisely place the implants where they need to be.

Surgical procedure is sometimes, less invasive than the extractions itself. After the implants are placed, they are allowed to heal for 4-6 months, followed by a crown (cap) placement by the dentist. If the tooth is in a esthetically sensitive zone, then you can get the crown placed on the day of implant placement. Best Wishes.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Rajesh  Gutta, BDS Rajesh Gutta, BDS
Assistant Professor of Clinical Surgery