Eye Surgery

10/07/2010

Question:

Hello- my 72 year old mother had eye surgery in march for astigmatism.  Since then- she has blurred vision/watery eyes and experiences pain in that eye and sometimes the other one as well. The doctor re-lazered the eye a few months ago and it did nothing to improve her situation. Her last check up he said he thinks it is neuralgia(??) / made no recommendation for treatment and scheduled cataract surgery on her other eye. I cancelled that. She says that while he was doing the first surgery / she was under sedation but heard him tell someone else he couldn`t get it to stop bleeding. Do you suppose something went wrong and he doesn`t want to say so? If that was the case, I can`t imagine he would schedule the other eye. She is border line diabetic. Please let me know your thoughts.

Answer:

Since I am not a surgeon, I do not feel qualified to answer your question.

But I do think that a second opinion from another refractive surgeon in your area would be indicated, since it sounds like both you and she have lost confidence in your first eye surgeon.

Be sure to have her sign a "Release of Information," so the second doctor can have copies of all her previous records, both pre- and post-surgery, from the first eye doctor.

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry