LEEP Procedure

11/02/2010

Question:

I had a leep procedure done on September 15th. I had no bleeding afterwards however 2 weeks ago I got my period and now all this past week I have been bleeding (almost like a period). Is this normal or should I go to my doctor?

Answer:

A LEEP (loop electrode excisional procedure) is a minor surgical procedure in which the surface of the cervix is shaved away using a small metal wire that cauterizes as it cuts. The advantage of the LEEP over cutting away the tissue sharply is that the cautery keeps bleeding to a minimum. Sometimes as the cervix heals and the eschar (charred tissue that acts like a scab) falls away, it is possible to have some additional bleeding from the raw surface. 

If the bleeding seems heavy or is accompanied by increasing pain or discharge, you should see your doctor to make sure that it is healing without complication.

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Associate Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology