Eye Problem

11/12/2010

Question:

I`m a 20 year old student. The coordination between my eyes,mind and body is not so great (My eyesight is weak and I wear corrective lenses), like by the time I see the ball and fix my mind where to hit it and try to hit the ball, it may have gone past me or take another case like I cannot read and write at the same time. Also many times I fell dizzy, tired and fatigue after doing a work that needs constant coordination like playing table tennis.Also recently I am feeling stress in my eyes and having headaches. Also my right eye does not open as wide as my left eye(But both eyes do not open to the actual size as before) This all is lowering my confidence. Please help me out.

Answer:

Your first appointment should be with an eye doctor to be sure your eyes are healthy, in focus, and are functioning in a coordinated manner.

If your eyes are not the cause of some or all of your symptoms, then I would recommend a thorough evaluation by your family physician. This doctor will likely order lab tests to determine whether or not you have a systemic disease like infections and endocrine problems (diabetes, thyroid, etc).

If your family physician cannot diagnose the problem, then he or she will probably refer you to a neurologist who will test you for nerve diseases like multiple sclerosis or Guillain-Barre or Lyme disease.

All of these nerve diseases are very rare in patients your age; so your eye doctor and family physician should rule out the most common conditions first.

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry