Progressive Lenses

10/28/2010

Question:

I had a cornea transplant in May 2006 which has caused a astigmatism and recently had a cataract removed from the other eye. I wear progressive lenses and the latest prescription makes me feel like I am 10 feet tall but other than that the glasses are really good. What part of the progressive lenses make me feel that way and is it possible to cut that portion or lessen it without causing problems with the rest. Right now I can`t bowl or play golf with the current glasses.

Answer:

Contact your doctor that prescribed the glasses. The problem could be as simple as needing to switch to a different progressive lens design, or a slightly more complicated issue known as aniseikonia.

Aniseikonia is a difference in image size between the two eyes and can often cause the type of distortion that you describe. It is common for this condition to occur following cataract surgery or corneal transplants. If this is the problem, then specially designed lenses for your glasses may get you back on the golf course!

Andrew J Toole, OD, PhD, FAAO
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry