Pharmacy and Medications

Lubrication

11/09/2010

Question:

I am a menopausal woman (56 years old) who stopped menstruating about 4 years ago. I have found my libido to be very low now (it never was very high). The doctor just ran tests and my estrogen and testosterone levels appear to be fairly normal. Can you suggest a lubricant that is both edible and hypo-allergenic. I am prone to allergies, and have had some problems with previous products. Thank you for any suggestions!

Answer:

There are many types of vaginal lubricants and most are not harmful if ingested. In fact, many are available in flavors. Water-based lubricants are considered the safest for several reasons.

Read the labeled ingredients. Avoid lubricants containing mineral oil, petrolatum, and numbing agents such as menthol and benzocaine. K-Y Brand makes several safe and effective vaginal lubricants.

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Debra K Gardner, PhamD Debra K Gardner, PhamD
Assistant Clinical Professor of Pharmacy
College of Pharmacy