Wellness Center

Pain in the Chest – Second Rib

11/02/2010

Question:

I am having mvps with symptoms. NO MR. Dr advised no medications. Off late I had pain in the angle of louis. The doctor in his presciption pointed out that there is a tenderness in the manubrium sterni area. But I have a bony protusion in the angle of louis and pain there which is felt while lying in bed too, that is turning from this side to that side, while driving or some times even in small trivial activities and while even at rest. I went to a cardiologist and he said it might be due to costochondrities. I am tall,having thin chest but with no abnormalities like pectus excavatum or carinatum. For the five months I am taking pantaprozole on the advise of dr. Will this would have caused the pain in that area? or is it a joint type athraligic pain? or costo or fibromylgia?

Answer:

Thanks for your question. In our patients we look first at their calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D levels and attempt to get those in the 90% of the normal range. At this point, these symptoms are gone. Of course, your doctor would order these tests and would advise on how to get them to the optimal levels. 

Go to the Wellness Center health topic, where you can:

Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP
Professor of Family Medicine