Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Women's Health

Nitrofurantoin replacement



I was diagnosed with vagina atrophy, because of that getting cystitis often and urologist prescribed me nitrofurantoin for a long time. Please let me know if there is some antibiotics which may be injected once a month (or once in several month) and will work all that time. Thanks


Vaginal atrophy can be treated with estrogen. If you are getting infection it could be as the result of not being able to empty your bladder, another complication of urethral and vaginal atrophy. This condition also can be treated and hopefully you would not need antibiotics.

For more information:

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Ahmad  Hamidinia, MD Ahmad Hamidinia, MD
Formerly, Professor of Clinical Surgery
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati