Urinary Disorders

Dull kidney pain

11/23/2010

Question:

two years ago i had a lithotripsy done on a 1.5cm stone, two stones got stuck in my ureter and it took 4day of iv fluids to clear them also one tiny stone never left my kidney. Every 6 months i had ct scan showing the same stone still sitting there. in august i had a nother scan done as i have dull kidney pain. and scan showed that i have 2-3stones of 2-3mm. kidney size within acceptable limits. My chiropractor noticed on my scans that my left kidney is sitting lower than the right. I still suffer from dull kidney pain, lately becoming a bit stronger, especially at night time, when lying down. should i be concerned? If i get it checked out what tests should i do?

Answer:

In view of the fact that you get dull pain in the kidney and the fact there are several small stone fragments in the kidney, it would be of benefit to follow up with your urologist to have a urine checked and be examined. If you are forming new stone fragments or the fragments are enlarging in size, it may be worth doing a metabolic evaluation to see if diet modification or medications can help to prevent new stone formation. The urologist can also discuss the options of treating the residual stone fragments and whether he feels these may be contributing to the symptoms.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology