Tingle in Legs from Knees to Ankles

11/09/2010

Question:

I have notice this tingling in my legs from the knee to ankles for the last couple of weeks. I think I notice it mostly when I am sitting, I am 70 years old . I have had back problems most of my life,mostly sciatica. I don`t have any other pain other than the tingling. In the last 3 yrs I have noticed in the winter my feet get a little cold. I walk about 2 plus miles 5 days a week at the rate of 13 1/2 minute miles. No blood pressure problem and no diabetes and no Cholesterol problems. I have not smoked in 25 yrs. and do not drink alcohol or caffeine. What do you think.

Answer:

Congratulations on maintaining a regular walking regimen, and for remaining without elevated blood pressure, blood sugar, nor cholesterol for 70 years!

Determining the cause of and appropriate treatment for your symptoms requires the performance of a medical history and physical examination at a minimum and possibly also, relevant diagnostic studies.

In addition to the possibility that the tingling symptoms in both your legs may or may not be related to your history of back problems and sciatica (meaning "nerve root irritation" in your lumbar spine), other possible causes for your symptoms could include:

·         neuropathy - a very general term which means there's a problem with a person's peripheral nerves... although the most common causes are diabetes and heavy alcohol use which don't apply in your case, there are many other possible causes for and types of neuropathy,

·         circulatory problems - venous or arterial, or even

·         a problem with the central nervous system (brain or spinal cord) which would hopefully be excluded once you consult with your physician.

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation