Does Vision Therapy Work?

11/30/2010

Question:

My 7-year old daughter has recently started vision therapy for being farsighted and having intermittent esotropia in left eye. We`ve patched for two years and she wears glasses with a bifocal and prism. Is there anything more that can be done? The vision therapy is getting really expensive and I had one optometrist tell me that it was a waste of time. Is there any hope that vision therapy will not only help her vision but also help to straighten her eyes?

Answer:

This is a very good question and without knowing the clinical data it is very hard to give you my professional opinion.

Since your daughter's doctor(s) has prescribed patching, she has probably been diagnosed with some form of amblyopia. Vision therapy in this sense is simply patching and is really the best way to treat that condition.

The bifocal and prism have been prescribed for the esotropia, which must get worse when she tries to look at things at near, such as reading. The bifocal is intended to help keep the eyes aligned.

As I mentioned at the beginning, without knowing the clinical data I cannot give you an accurate opinion on what to do. The magnitude and frequency of the esotropia are important to know.

If you are unsure of your current treatment you could always seek a second opinion from an eye care specialist who works with pediatric patients.

Aaron  Zimmerman, OD, MS Aaron Zimmerman, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry