Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Research Center

Trial Drug: Pirfenidone



I have a friend in China who suffers from severe pulmonary fibrosis. I heard of Pirfenidone, which is still under clinical trial, and is not available in Asia. I would like to know what we can do so he may be allowed to participate as a study subject for such a medicine. It is a life and death situation.


Pirfenidone is approved for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis in Japan and can be obtained in that country from licensed physicians. The U.S. FDA did not approve Pirfenidone for use in this country, and the company that owns the rights to pirfenidone has not yet decided about whether to do an additional study. There is currently no way to receive pirfenidone in the U.S. There are a number of other clinical trials of medications to treat IPF underway in the U.S. at a number of academic medical centers.

For more information:

Go to the Research Center health topic, where you can:

Response by:

James N Allen, Jr, MD James N Allen, Jr, MD
Clinical Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University