Kidney Related Symptoms

12/08/2010

Question:

During past 2 years my kidney function has been fluctuating between 46-66 percent(UK). At present I have protein/blood in my urine which is being checked via a cystoscopy procedure today. I also have high cholesterol(7.4) and intermittent spiking High blood pressure - in the past I have had kidney stones/calcifications - question - doctors unable to explain why I have almost daily recurring vomitting, diarrhea,pain primarily in right flank/abdomen /groin(constant or sharp) itching, headaches (simvastatin helped) blurred vision, dizzyness, weight increase 3 stone(altho I only eat 1 meal a day and yoghurt for b/fast)and most recently muscle pain which caused my hand to spasm and received wrist sprain. CT Scan showed small calcifications. Your response would be really useful as all I am getting is that with early renal disease I shouldnt have these symptoms yet and wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar. thank you

Answer:

I do not have enough information to answer your question, but I agree that with your level of kidney function, you should not be experiencing symptoms of kidney failure, which may include nausea/vomiting, severe fatigue and sleepiness, itching, and metallic taste in the mouth. 

Since you describe protein in your urine and weight increase, you may be having protein leakage through your kidneys as a sign of kidney disease.  A cystoscopy would not help make this diagnosis, but a kidney biopsy might.  Kidney stones and calcifications may possibly result in some damage, but not usually severe damage (unless they are associated with infection).

Most of the symptoms you describe do not seem to be ones of kidney failure.  However, some of your symptoms are associated with diabetes, and some are associated with neurological/brain problems; so if you have not been tested for diabetes and have not had a brain scan, these are tests that you may need to undergo.

You should sit down with your doctor and ask for an explanation of your lab results, as well as a frank discussion of your symptoms.  If you are not satisfied with the answers you get, feel free to seek a second opinion.

Mildred   Lam, MD Mildred Lam, MD