Post ACL Construction Instability

11/23/2010

Question:

sir, My age is 27.i had an ACL reconstruction & partial meniscus surgery at 25, intially felt stiffness,partial loss of quadricep muscle,but my knee was doing ok.. but later after 9 to 10 months,my knee started feeling unstable but still was able to walk and do my gym excercises. Later after 6 months, i was walking down the steps & suddenly i lost my balance and tried to regain my position in process my operated knee got completely dislocated & it was very painfull.. i walked my way back & did a lot of iceing to reduce the swelling. my knee is clicking on movements.. i consulted my ortho surgeon, he says, we will wait for 6 days for the swelling to reduce and then get an MRI done to find, if anything is wrong... My question here is, why did the knee dislocate even after an ACL reconstruction..because i have been working out for the past 1 year.. doing squats & step up excercise twice a week with 50 to 80 pounds weight on my shoulder... I am yet to find out if my ACL is torn or not, as i am waiting for the swelling to reduce. Kindly give suggestions for both...1. If My ACL is found ruptured 2.or If it is intact...

Answer:

If your knee truly "completely dislocated,” this would be a medical emergency. You may have instead sustained a patellar dislocation, which is different from a dislocation between your femur and tibia. If so, this could account for your current symptoms.

Once your knee swelling diminishes, it will be easier for your orthopedist to examine your knee, and the results from your knee MRI will also clarify what happened.

A reconstructed ACL can still rupture (or loosen), and the remaining portion of the previously operated meniscus can still tear (as can also the other, un-operated meniscus). You should also ask your orthopedist why your knee started to feel more unstable 9-10 months out from surgery and whether or not he'd noted any loosening of your knee during your more recent postoperative follow-up examinations.

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation