Digestive Disorders

Stomach Nodules

I had an EUS performed in June and November of this year. In June, a stomach nodule was discovered and measured either 5 or 7mm. In November, the nodule had grown to 11mm. As far as I know, no biopsy was done in November, but two biopsy were taken in June with normal results. Was told the nodule had no change, but growth is a change, right? I am to follow up in three months, but I am concerned with the growth. Also, I had gastric sleeve surgery in november 09. What could be causing the growth and should I be concerned? Is it normal to take a watch and see approach?

It is difficult to say what is causing it but reassuring that the EUS done was normal and biopsies were normal. The growth to 11 mm is rather small and I would not be concerned. It is something to just follow and monitor and likely rebiopsy if growth continues. Having had a stomach surgery, it is very likely this growth is inflammatory in nature.

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Annette  Kyprianou, MD Annette Kyprianou, MD
Senior Clinical Instructor of Medicine