Pharmacy and Medications

Tylenol

12/10/2010

Question:

I have RA and have been given Tylenol 3`s for the pain. There is some time that I have pain that is bad enough to take something but not bad enough to take Tylenol 3`s. Because of the medications that I am on I can only take Tylenol. On the days that I have pain but not bad enough for Tylenol 3`s could I take Tylenol Arthritis? Can I switch back and forth between the two? How much Tylenol can I take per day?

Answer:

You can switch back and forth between the acetaminophen with codeine (Tylenol #3) and plain acetaminophen (Tylenol or Tylenol Arthritis). However, you should use caution when using them in the same day. The Tylenol #3 tablets contain 325mg of acetaminophen. They are an immediate-release product and will typically last about 4-6 hours. 

The Tylenol Arthritis tablets contain 650mg of acetaminophen. They are an extended-release product and should last closer to 8 hours. You should make sure you are not taking the products too closely together. 

As far as the maximum amount of acetaminophen allowed per day, the general recommendation is 4,000mg. However, this amount may be lower in patients who have liver problems, or consume large amounts of alcohol.  

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Michael  Ganio, PharmD Michael Ganio, PharmD
Clinical Applications Pharmacist
Wexner Medical Center