Shadows and Ants

02/01/2011

Question:

I see shadows mostly on my left side or shade like blackness for the past 6 years,, and sometimes i see ants or bugs piled up on the wall or in the floor but theres nothing there. what is this??

Answer:

This is obviously a serious and complex visual symptom, especially since you said it has been present for six years.

First, I would recommend a comprehensive eye examination if you have not already had one. If the outcome of this eye examination is normal, which I would expect it to be, then your eye doctor will refer you to a psychiatrist to evaluate your mental and emotional status. 

Seeing things like you have described usually indicates some visual hallucination for which mental health therapy is indicated. Diagnosing the root cause of your visual hallucinations will not be quick or easy; but you must get to the root cause because mental health therapies like medications, relaxation techniques, and group interactions can all be effective ways to treat your disease.

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry