Tongue and Mouth Irritation

01/04/2011

Question:

For the last 10 months I`ve been having a numbing somewhat burning sensation all around the edge of my tongue.Also I have a a thick layer of saliva on the inside of my mouth which makes me scrap and chew the inside of my mouth. I`ve been checked by my dentist and physician but they could not see anything.At times there is somewhat of a sweet taste in my mouth. I was put on B12 but still no results. Gets worse as the day progresses. My taste buds seem to be ok. Very irritating. Film seems to stick to my teeth also. I`m a 57 yr old male. Non smoker and drinker. No change in eating habits. Taking Rabeprazole for stomach problems but tongue issues started prier to that. Sticky saliva

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. From your description, it sounds like you may have a condition called 'Burning Mouth Syndrome'. For more information please refer to the NetWellness article on Burning Mouth Syndrome. If an oral and maxillofacial pathologist is available, he/she would be good choice for an evaluation and any additional recommendations regarding management.

NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Our Answer Policy

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology