Swollen Upper Lip + White Bumps

01/13/2011

Question:

This about the third time this has happened to me in the past two months. My lips got chapped about a week ago and I put some carmex on it and about 20 minutes later my lips started swelling and I could see little bumps raised from my upper lip. It normally isn`t too painful but it is very embarrassing. And it normally lasts a little more than a week. Normally my lips will get really dried up and a layer will peal off and after that it`s gone. Please help me figure this out and how I can treat it

Answer:

While it would be difficult to say exactly what this is without doing an examination, the description of the lip changes developing 20 minutes after application of Carmex is highly suggestive that your problem is being caused by contact with some component of the Carmex. If the reaction is due to something such as a preservative (commonly used in such lip balms), then you might experience a similar reaction to a different product as well.

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology