Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Athletic Training

Shin Pain



I have RA in all my joints. I do alot of walking. Due to my RA my right foot is turned out and when I walk it is on the outside of my foot. I am getting alot of pain in that shin. On the outside of my knee is tender and the pain goes all the way down to my ankle on the outside of my shin. The pain has been getting worse and it is realy bad when going up hill. Is there any type of treatments that could streighten my leg and help with the shin pain?


Thank you for the question and I am sorry to hear of your difficulties.  It is hard to say what particular exercises would be beneficial to you without knowing more specifics of your condition and if the resultant postural abnormalities are pain-related or truly structural. 

I would recommend a follow up with a local sports medicine professional to evaluate your problem to determine if there are some treatment options that will control your symptoms to allow you to continue your walking program with less pain. 

Good Luck!

For more information:

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University