Since 1995 - Non Profit Healthcare Advice

What Happens if My Son Has a Decaying Tooth?



Well, he started with the chipped tooth and then it started to decay, but now it looks like the tooth is starting to get smaller. What will the dentist do if I take him in?


Thanks for the question. The dentist may take an x-ray to see how healthy the tooth is and how the trauma of being chipped affected it. Treatment can range from no treatment needed, a filling, a crown or an extraction depending on how old your child is, if this is a baby or grown up tooth, and what the overall prognosis of the tooth is. However, if there are changes you are noticing, having a dentist take a look is the best place to start. Hope this helps.

For more information:

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic.