Scaphoid Fractures Still Hurts!

02/17/2011

Question:

I broke my wrist about about 7 months ago back in end of july. When i went to the doctors they said i had a scaphoid fracture and put me in a hard cast over night untill i came back to the hospital the next day when they then a put a soft velcro splint on my forearm and wrist for about 4 to 6 weeks. I have not done any physio therapy since then because the doctors never mentioned it. After finally taking it off i knew there was going to be some pain to moving my wrist so i moved on doing normal day to day activites and slowly the small pain in my wrist started to fade (but never fully went away)and i was able to move it around more. Ive started to work out again but i can only lift so much before getting that tenderness in my wrist and cannot fully roll back my wrist all the way around without feeling that small abit of pain.

I was wondering if this is at all normal or does it just take much more time for that slight pain to finally go away? Should i start seeing a physio therapist or should i go back to the doctors for them to check if its fully healed yet?

Thanks

Answer:

Since it's been nearly 7 months since your wrist injury and you're still having symptoms, it would be best to clarify whether or not your scaphoid fracture has healed.

If so, your physician may then determine whether your persisting pain symptoms could be due to you having sustained an additional injury to a wrist ligament, or alternatively, possibly due to you having developed tendinitis.

For further information, performing a search of this website using the term "scaphoid fracture" currently provides 12 results.

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation