Regarding Tuberculosis Treatment

My x-ray report reveals lymph node infiltiration with nodule formation in chest, with loss of weight, loss of appitite but not any other symptoms of TB . WHAT DOES IT MEAN? My doctor started TB drugs but I have completed only 5 months of treatment. Is it any chances for reoccurence of infection to me?

Tuberculosis can infect lymph nodes in the chest. Based on the information you provide and the fact that I cannot give a second opinion I do not know if you have tuberculosis of your lymph nodes. IN terms of general information about TB of the lymph nodes in the chest I can tell you the following: This form of tuberculosis is quite common in children. It is often due to recent exposure to tuberculosis. Perhaps exposure 3-6 months prior to the lymph node swelling. If tuberculosis of the lymph node is suspected the standard treatment is with 6 months of antituberulosis treatment. The success rate of this treatment is quite high if you have tuberculosis. We would expect perhaps 2-3 % relapse rate with this treatment.

Go to the Tuberculosis health topic, where you can:

Catherine A Curley, MD, MS Catherine A Curley, MD, MS
Assistant Professor of Medicine