Nodular Opacities Measuring Up to 5 mm

02/22/2011

Question:

I recently went for a physical check up as a procedure of the immigration and my chest X-ray report read "That upon comparison from the previous x-ray taken 6 months ago Nodular Opacities measuring up to 5mm projecting over the right upper lung zone on the most recent chest radiograph are not identified on the previous examination So further evaluation with chest CT scan is recommended"....Am a non smoker and in between those 6 months I engaged myself in Vigorous Chest exercise that is weight lifting..could this be the cause??...If not what can be the cause of this and what danger am I facing??... Regards

Answer:

These findings are unlikely to be related to any exercise or weight lifting. The most common cause would be some sort of infection which could be low grade and virtually asymptomatic. A chest CT is the appropriate next step. 

Jeff E Weiland, MD Jeff E Weiland, MD
Associate Professor - Clinical
OSU Asthma Center