Autism

Speech Stimulation Techniques

02/24/2011

Question:

Respected Maim, Can you please explain to me, what is prompting and cueing which are used as a speech stimulation technique and also the basic difference between the two.I hope you will clear my doubt. Thank you.

Answer:

These terms are often used interchangeably. However, some people suggest prompting refers to direct efforts to guide a person (such as touching him/her to provide a response). We talk about fading cues/prompts or reducing the intensity and frequency of the prompting over time until the target behavior (in this case more language) occurs spontaneously in the child’s natural environment with no need for cues/prompts.

When a child is learning to talk, we use these strategies to expand the child’s current skill set or in this case his/her language. We want the child to do more than he/she is currently doing, for example: if the child says “cookie” we would cue him by saying, “big cookie” and wait for him/her to repeat the expanded utterance. In this way we can grow the child’s language skills.

Go to the Autism health topic, where you can:

Paula C Rabidoux, PhD/CCC-SLP Paula C Rabidoux, PhD/CCC-SLP
Clinical Associate Professor of Psychiatry
Clinical Associate Professor of Speech & Hearing
College of Social and Behavioral Sciences