LASIK

03/17/2011

Question:

I had Lasik surgery about 6 years ago. At the time of the surgery the doctor told me that once my (distance) vision was corrected, it would not change. I had 20/20 in one eye and 20/40 in the other eye after the Lasik. I wear glasses (bifocals) to read and I have had to have the distance portion of the bifocals corrected twice. Once one has Lasik, is is supposed to be "good" for forever like my doctor promised? Thank you.

Answer:

LASIK is associated with a re-treatment rate of approximately 4%. Therefore it is not uncommon for a patient to have their prescription change somewhat. It is very common for the bifocal portion of the glasses prescription between the ages of 40 and 60 for all individuals, so that is normal, however changes to the distance portion are not common.

Since you have encountered a change to the distance portion of your prescription, I would encourage you to contact your refractive surgeon to go over the options for re-treatment or what is called an enhancement. Many refractive surgeons offer enhancements at no charge, but it depends on the policies of each office. He/she will be able to discuss the enhancement process and probable outcomes.

Aaron  Zimmerman, OD, MS Aaron Zimmerman, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry