Urinary Disorders

Urethra Pressure

06/02/2011

Question:

I have been having strange sensations in my urethra ONLY for about the past 5 months. Sometimes they can be likened to the feeling of urgency but again only in the urethra. I have been to a urologist and had a cystoscope and IVP done showing everything is normal. Last Pap was normal. Have also had repeated urine samples and cultures, all normal. Am presently using Premarin cream, 1 gram intravaginally daily. Too soon to know if this will help. Would appreciate any idea as to what may be going on in the urethra as it is quite annoying. Both my urologist and OB/GYN seem to offer little in the way of diagnoses. I am 62 and 12 years post menopausal.

Answer:

It is difficult to know for sure what is causing your symptoms. Giving the Premarin cream a longer time to work seems appropriate. If this is not effective, it may be worth following up with your urologist.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology