Pharmacy and Medications

Please Help

04/05/2011

Question:

I have rheumatoid arthritis/lupus and taking predsone, I also have pulmonary fibrosis. My question is, which pain relieve can I safely take without causing more damage to my lungs. I was taking celebrex and doing well but the dr told me to discontinue

Thank you

Answer:

Your physician may have told you to stop taking your celecoxib (Celebrex) for any number of reasons. Celecoxib is not known for having many side effects associated with the lungs, so it’s likely you were told to stop taking it for another reason. Long-term use of similar drugs has been shown to increase risk of certain types of heart disease as well as cause gastrointestinal problems. The prednisone you are taking can also cause gastrointestinal problems, too. You may have been told to stop taking the celecoxib for this reason. 

Without knowing why you were told to stop, it is difficult to recommend an alternative. I recommend contacting your physician’s office and ask them for an alternative you can use.

Go to the Pharmacy and Medications health topic, where you can:

Michael  Ganio, PharmD Michael Ganio, PharmD
Clinical Applications Pharmacist
Wexner Medical Center