Pain Chewing Food One Week After Root Canal

04/20/2011

Question:

I went in to my dentist about two weeks ago complaining about minor tooth sensitivity, and found that I had a small cavity that was then filled. However, after the filling I had extreme sensitivity to cold temperatures, and was told I needed a root canal. I was then sent to an endodontist, and the root canal was performed, and x-rays were taken afterwards to make sure it was completed.

However, since the root canal therapy, my cold sensitivity is gone, but now I`ve had extreme sensitivity and pain when biting down and chewing that I did not have before this treatment. After a week, I went back in to the endodontist and he fixed my bite, as that tooth was biting down first before the other teeth, so now it doesn`t hurt when i bite down without food, but it still hurts so much I cannot chew food on that side still. Is this normal to have that kind of pain two weeks after a root canal? Or if my bite was off, how long will it take until I can chew food again?

Post root canal pain
Root Canal
Pain and Sensitivity After Root Canal

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. A question similar to yours has been previously addressed. The links below will connect you to that information. NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Our Answer Policy

Post Root Canal Pain
Root Canal
Pain and Sensitivity After Root Canal
Pain and Sensitivity After Root Canal

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics