Height of My 10 Year Old Child

04/25/2011

Question:

My 10 year old child is 4`7 and 70 pounds. He told me after school that he feels short in his class and that there is a child who is a "giant" compared to him. He even said that some 9 year olds are bigger than him. I am concerned that he will loose his self esteem. Is he average for a 10 year old?

Answer:

More so than what is average for a 10 year old is, is your child growing at a consistent weight and height percentage over time and what are the heights of his parents? "Apples fall close to the tree". This means that if parents are of average or shorter stature, their children will also be of average or shorter stature. In addition, certain ethnic groups tend to be shorter (Asian, Pacific Islanders), while other ethnic groups tend to be taller (Nordic descendants). This is an excellent example of a topic to discuss with your pediatric health care provider at your next well child examination.

Sarah Sauntry, RN, MS, CPNP-PC
Assistant Professor of Clinical Nursing