Since 1995 - Non Profit Healthcare Advice

Fused vertibrae



Are there any procedures that can unfuse vertibrae? I have a fused L4-L5 from birth. I`ve always had a limited range of motion and my back does not bend as much as it should.


Hello, thank you for your question. No, there really isn’t any way to “unfuse” a vertebra. I’m not sure how much you think your back “should” bend, but I don’t think there’s much you can do about it other than do your best to stretch and improve your overall flexibility. If it is a pain issue there might be treatments available to you, but that’s about it. Good luck.

For more information:

Go to the Spine and Back Health health topic.